PO Box 40452, Casuarina. Northern Territory 0810
Secretary:Lyn Barlow 0407379916
Probus Club of Darwin Inc. is non-profit and non-sectarian. It is non-fundraising. It's objectives are to stimulate thought, interest and participation in activities at a time of life when it is easy to become complacent and self centred.
Our Patron is NT Administrator, His Honour The Honourable Professor Hugh Heggie PSM
Bev, we have sorely missed you and are glad you are back in Darwin and ready to return after a great break..
Books read May and discussed June
• Bring up the Bodies by Hilary Mantel. Review—Jim enjoyed it very much as well as the first book, Wolf Hall. He gave a bit of an overview last month so Colleen, Margaret and Helmy gave it a go but gave up……..:
• The Housemaid’s Secret, by Freida McFadden - Review:
Colleen enjoyed the book very much. It may be a follow up from the Housemaid we read a few months ago and all of us enjoyed that one very much.
• Year of Wonders by Geraldine Brooks. Review—Sheena enjoyed the history of this book but found the characters overblown. The book is about the plague in the 19th century and the hardship of quarantining in the village where it all started. Helmy, Margaret and Colleen enjoyed it and we discussed the incredible cruelty of the people. The book presents a stark contrast between the ‘believers’ and the ‘witches’ in how brutal people behaved towards each other.
Books to read June and discuss July
• Battavia by Peter FitzSimons
• Nancy Wake by Peter FitzSimons
• Beartown by Fredrick Backman
• Siddhartha by Herman Hesse
• Any book by Lucinda Riley
We meet on the first Monday of the month and new members are welcome to join us at the Casuarina Club where we meet at 11 to discuss books and we eat, drink and are merry afterwards.
Next meeting—5 June , 11:00am at Cas Sports Club
Stay well, stay safe and happy reading, Helmy